Lille, France, April 2017
This 2nd french-speaking version of the D6 conference was an opportunity for YWAM Family Ministries to work together with 14 other organisations focused on issues such as generational discipleship. The Family Resource Centre and King’s Kids ministries of YWAM France were able to actively participate in organising and running this event.
What is D6?
It is a movement intentional about empowering churches, leaders, marriages and parents to live out the story of Deuteronomy 6, especially verses 6-7 :
« Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. »
The family is God’s original small group, and D6 provides resources to align church and home to accomplish God’s design of generational discipleship. A growing international ministry birthed in the USA, the french leaders joined the movement with a desire to create a place of dialogue, exchange of resources and sharing for the good of the family.
Questions explored at the conference this year included :
- How can we gather the generations and share our faith together ?
- How can we organise an inter-generational church service ?
- Is it really possible to worship God all together ?
- What can the older generation give the younger generation, and what do the youth have to give the seniors ?
Workshop topics included :
- Spiritual health of our teenagers
- Living with new technology & screens
- What is the role of christian grandparents (with christian or non-christian parents in between) ?
- Family : a place for forgiveness, dialogue & healing
- What is a Family Team ?
- Building strong families
- Connecting the generations in your church
The YWAM France King’s Kids leaders Anne-Laure and Nicolas Grandemange and their 3 children ran a session called « How not to be a perfect family and still love Jesus together ? », and Richard Gerber, leader of the Family Resource Centre for YWAM Champagne presented the Couple Cards tool. We also had opportunities to distribute materials and share resources with hundreds of participants, ranging from families to church leaders and Sunday School staff.
If you can collaborate with D6 in your ministry location, we highly recommend you do !
More info on D6
Podcasts on family themes: d6family.com/podcast/